How To Protect Yourself Against Scams? : Know Here! >> This article talks about falling prey to online scams along with enlisting the measures and ways to protect yourself.
Each year millions of people Worldwide are falling for online scams, which are lured into sharing their details on the pretext of exciting prizes and rewards. Internet scams and frauds are surging high, wherein it turns out to be a challenging task in protecting yourself from turning into the next prey of the scamsters.
So, if you too have faced any scams or fallen prey to one, then do not panic. We here present to all our readers a comprehensive guide of tips on How To Protect Yourself Against Scams. So, learn more about how you can save yourself from becoming a scam victim.
What are Online Frauds and Internet Scams?
An internet scam can be too feeblish to understand. However, you need to keep a hawk’s eye on every minute detail to save yourself from falling prey to it.
Speaking further about internet scams, these are scams or fraud wherein the scamsters use online software or a website for stealing and indoctrinating identity, thereby stealing your money.
Do you know, as per statistics, over 25% of millennials are more prone to online scams Worldwide than those above 40, who usually lose money when victimized?
While it is generic for people to get drawn to prize money and profits, it is better to be wise and look for certain signs to avoid burning your pockets and bank accounts in the bargain.
How do Online Frauds Work?
Scammers, or hackers, as you may call them, are extremely tricky. Besides, having caught the public’s pulse, they know all the tactics to con, fraud and deceive people. Thus, before we proceed to list out ways for avoiding the scam, let’s just glimpse through the different tactics applied by scammers:
Breaching User Data
Data Breach implies stealing private information, including financial data that is usually leaked through an unauthorized party. The information collected is later used for conducting misdeeds like hacking into your finances or applying for loans. And by the time you are aware of any of the activities going on, you may have already left the brunt by losing scrupulous money.
Shopping scams are considered one of the commonest forms of scams. It happens whenever a user tries to shop at any ecommerce site or through an online auction. However, they realize to have fallen prey to a scam when they do not receive any product after the order is placed. Herein, they neither receive any refund nor is the site or ecommerce website traceable to catch hold of them.
Also popularly known as Spoofing. Herein, the scammer’s tactic is using fake email or even in the form of a fake website. Furthermore, the information gets stolen as soon as the user fills the data form. However, the victim here tends to be oblivion of the scam while his identity, password and account information gets stolen without their knowledge.
Credit Card Scams
Scammers here get hold of your credit card or debit card details (especially PIN) which is later used for purchasing or withdrawing cash.
How To Protect Yourself Against Scams?
Now let’s come to this article’s actual purpose, i.e., guidance on how to prevent from falling for scams. First, what is important is letting your gut do the talking. However, this need not always help you. So, we here provide some ideal ways to find about scams:
Check if the Website is Legit or a Scam?
Knowing if the website is authentic or a scam can save you from losing your money. However, how to know about it? Please check out the list below:
- Search for the website’s trust score.
- Check if sufficient information is available about the products.
- Look out for customer reviews. Does the website or online pages or the reviewing sites has any testimonials listed?
- Check for the social media presence. Most legit websites have active social media pages that also includes reliable information
- Look for shipping and refund policies – Is it accurately explained and includes any discrepancies
- What is the payment mode, and does it have any contact details or customer care numbers listed?
- The detail is very minute but can save you from huge losses. Encrypted websites start with “http” instead of “https.” If there is a lock sign beside the link, then it is completely safe to go ahead.
Some other Ways to Protect Yourself from Scams
- Password change: Secure your email with a strong password, combining numbers, letters and special characters.
- Confirm transactions verbally: Beware before you transfer money without talking to the person directly. Call the person to check their legitimacy. Also, do double-check to confirm the authenticity.
- Do not open any attachment or links from unknown sources
- Do not divulge your account details or email signatures
How to Report an Online Scam?
Have you fallen prey to an online scam? Don’t know how to report it? Well, here are the ways:
- In the case of an internet scam, it must report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Centre. It is part of the FBI.
- If you have fallen prey to an internet scam, it is imperative to send a message to the cyber-crime to catch hold of the scammers. They would help by tracking unsolicited emails. You can also file a complaint at the consumer centre.
Conclusion – Be Wise, Prevent Scams
It is necessary to understand that online scams or internet frauds are not limited to any age or consumers. However, it is imperative to know How To Protect Yourself Against Scams by being appropriately informed and following all the measures.
Knowing about the different types of scams and how you can safeguard yourself by applying accurate measures can save you from fraud and lose money.
Did you find the above-listed information useful? What is your opinion about online scams? Have you faced any online scam? Please write us your views or share your experience in the comments box below.